Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Rock Around the Clock








“Turn that music down!!!” Poor Pops. My music drives him crazy! To me, there is nothing better than lying on my bed listening to my favorite 45s. I can do that while talking on the phone, doing my homework, reading…just about any time and the louder, the better. Pops, on the other hand, can’t seem to walk across the living room while my music is playing. He’s so old.

We used to get along really well. I loved sitting by his side while he read the newspaper. We’d go for walks and he’d push me on the swings at the park. That was when I was young. Now that I’m older and more mature (I’m 15 after all!) we don’t seem to get along as well as we used to. He’s always hollering at me to turn down my music, go change my clothes, clean up my room. I wish he was cool like Mom. She understands me a lot better.

--------------------

Why doesn’t she listen to me? What happened to my sweet, young daughter; the one who adored me and hung on my every word? She’s been replaced by a defiant, eye-rolling, argumentative girl who seems to thrive on noise and chaos. I love her dearly but I sure don’t understand her. Her mother seems to “get her”. Why is that? Why can’t I understand the changes in my daughter? I’m beginning to wish we hadn’t bought her that record player for Christmas. Ever since then, my ears have been accosted by her loud “music”. Rock Around the Clock? Certainly seems like that around here. Why doesn’t she ever play that Bing Crosby record we gave her with the record player?

--------------------

As he walked in the front door after a long day at the office, he could hear the music blaring. “That’s it!” he thought. “This will stop right now! She’s grounded. That lousy record player is MINE!”

He stormed up the stairs and threw open his daughter’s bedroom door, determined to let her have it once and for all. He stood transfixed, a look of horror and disbelief on his face. For there she was, gyrating and twirling; the music so loud that she didn’t even hear the door bang against the wall. 


There she was…his wife.

1 comment:

  1. I have inherited several pieces of silver from my father's family that were engraved with words of love for special occasions. For example, a small silver bowl engraved "Happy Birthday, Mother from your son David." These words were to my grandmother by an uncle who died long before I was born. Maybe you could write about something like that:-)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you've enjoyed this story. I'd love to hear about other items you'd like me to write a story about!